Friday, May 27, 2011

HW 59 - SOF Prom 2011 & DSPs

I did not go to prom, and I did not get to question many people who went about their experience, because most of them weren't in school. However, thanks to Facebook, I got to read about it all anyways. For the past few weeks I have heard people talking about where they are going to college, or what they are doing over the summer, so what I got when looking through people's photos and posts was a sense of something finishing. Prom seems like sort of an afterthought, something no one really thought about until it was about to happen. Even though there are many more things to be done as the year ends (graduation, etc.) I got the impression that prom sort of marked the beginning of the end.

And in a way, prom really is the perfect way to end high school. Everyone goes out on a high note, looking like the best possible version of themselves. The night serves the function of foreshadowing the next few years of everyone's life, all the adult things they'll get to do, and how mature and put together they'll look doing them. Simultaneously, it is a chance to reflect, and spend time with people, possibly for the last time. So perhaps it is more of a stage of transition than an actual ending point.

After reading about prom and talking to people about it, I have decided that while I don't want to make a huge deal of prom, I do want to go (at the beginning of this unit I didn't want to; me and one of my friends joked about going to an anti-prom). It is one of the few stereotypical high school events I would regret missing. However, I want the experience to be unique in some way, or challenging. I don't know how yet - maybe I'll try to spend less than $100 on everything, or plan everything in the week before - but it will be different than what I've read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment